Family Owned Since 1914
The Andre business traces its beginnings back to 1914. Floyd Andre was raised on a farm between Forest Lake and Fairdale, Pennsylvania. His father operated a small gristmill powered by the water flowing from Forest Lake. Floyd married and moved to Montrose, where he labored for several years in a machine shop operating a metal planer. Adjacent to the machine shop, James Jeffers owned a gristmill on the corner of Mill and Cherry Street. In 1914 Floyd and William Sweet leased the mill and began the company of Andre & Sweet. The mill and much of the block burned to the ground in 1916, but the mill was promptly rebuilt. In 1924, the two partners bought the real estate from Mr. Jeffers. Soon afterward Mr. Sweet was tragically killed in an automobile accident west of Montrose. In 1931 Floyd’s son, DeWitt, purchased Mrs. Sweet’s partnership interest and the firm became Andre & Son. Floyd remained active in the business until his death in 1952.
DeWitt managed the company by himself until his three sons, Neil, Dave, and Joe, completed their education and military services, joining the business between 1958 and 1965. Their involvement led to the growth of feed sales and farm store products, as well as an aggressive emphasis to provide lime and fertilizer services. The facilities in town were enlarged, plus the expansion to the current site began with the construction of the bulk fertilizer blending plant. This was a new concept in its time and the first in Northeastern PA. Andre & Son became incorporated in 1967.
In the 1990’s, three fourth generation family members, Scott, Mark, and Steve, joined the firm. Growth and change continued including the development of a substantial commercial turf business, construction of a sizable farm and home store, and creation of the Powersports division.
Andre & Son, Inc. remains a locally owned enterprise for now over 100 years. The family is proud of the heritage of the business and recognizes that the present-day Andre & Son, Inc. would not exist were it not for the dedicated and sincere efforts of all its past and current employees, its faithful customers and many friends.